Saturday, April 10, 2010

What My Child is Reading - April 10, 2010



We welcomed spring with our reading this week.

I picked up A Nest Full of Eggs by Priscilla Beiz Jenkins in anticipation of seeing our first robin. While it does provide some interesting information about robins specifically, it's really good for inspiring bird watching in general.


But, it's not just robins we were anticipating. My husband told me he spotted a ground squirrel this week, too. So, I picked up Baby Ground Squirrel by the Canadian team of Aubrey Lang and Wayne Lynch. It's a fairly wordy book, but interesting enough for my 3 year old to sit through. She was really drawn in by Lynch's photographs, and the dramatic tension of Lang's narrative.

And, I just couldn't pass up Too Many Bunnies, Matt Novak's cute little picture book about a bunch of introverted bunnies, who want to be alone, but not by themselves. It was perfect for our cabin fever state of mind.


I'll admit I checked out Mary Lyn Ray's Mud, mainly because of the cover art. And, I think it is the bright, strangely centered illustrations by Lauren Stringer, that really make this book.


Finally, and having nothing to do with spring, we started listening to an audio copy of Book 1 in the Mrs. Piggle Wiggle series by Betty MacDonald. It's been a real walk down memory lane for me, as Mrs. Piggle Wiggle was one of my favorite, childhood, literary characters. I now know why I spent so much time walking around the house, with a mirror held up to my face, so I could pretend I was walking on the ceiling, and why I'm tender toward older women with osteoporotic humps, and why I like like the smell of sugar cookies...but maybe there's enough there for a separate post.

Anyway, you can find many more children's book reviews, and recommendations at this week's What My Child Is Reading link up/blog hop at Mouse Grows, Mouse Learns.

It's great to be a homeschooler

2 comments:

Ticia said...

The cover art for mud would have gotten me too. It's strangely hypnotic.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

You read a lot of non-fiction, which is still very much hit-or-miss here. Mud does look and sound intriguing, and I enjoyed reading about your self-made mud. I have to see if our library has it.