Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Epic Entomological Battles in the Backyard, OR Ladybug Larvae in the Apple Trees


It has been an odd day - thunderstorms, plugged toilets, and braces for G, among other things...


...but the real topper was discovering, that ladybugs eat their young! How horrifying! But, you know - interesting (you can click the pictures below to get a better look).


We'd probably be upset, except our trees are currently infested with hoards of ladybugs, ladybug larvae, aphids, and ants, locked in mortal combat.



I'm not sure who's winning the battle, but the apples seem to be growing despite the war going on around them, so we're staying out of it.

I guess that makes us war correspondents, reporting to you from the front lines.


Like I said, it's been an odd day.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

8 comments:

Christy Killoran said...

I actually laughed when I read the line about being war correspondents! So funny!

That is kind of gross about the ladybugs. Glad to hear the apples are still growing though!

Plugged toilets are a regular occurrence around here - sorry to be so gross - KIDS!

The first week of braces was really hard for T (he couldn't eat much and his mouth was sore). I hope G is doing okay with them!

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Christy - So far, so good, but she just got them this morning, so we'll see how tomorrow goes.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I didn't know that about ladybugs - ewww! Good luck on braces - I was wearing them at 29, and it's not fun!

Amanda said...

Yikes! I didn't know that lady bugs eat their larva. My kids put them together in little habitats. Whoopsie.


Thanks for the heads up!
Amanda

Ticia said...

I remember braces. No fun. Hopefully she doesn't have to use head gear as well.

well that's not cool about lady bugs.

Phyllis said...

I hope the ladybugs leave enough larvae to get rid of your aphids and ants!
My James gets his braces OFF tomorrow! He never had any discomfort from them, so perhaps G will not as well.

Marcee said...

Cute post Leah! The apples have lost in our war, they all fell off the tree prematurely :( I always wanted braces as a kid, lucky G! Sammy kinda needs them, we'll see.

Debbie said...

I never knew that about ladybugs. I hope G doesn't have too many complaints with the braces.