Saturday, March 31, 2012

Christly Crowns - Easter Craft


Sojourn Kids offers this craft suggestion, as a way of discussing with younger children how Jesus' suffering ultimately led to His glory.


To get things started, I folded a piece of yellow construction paper in half (short ends together), and cut out a vaguely crownish shape for each of the younger girls (ages 5 and 7).


Then, I cut a straight strip across the long side of a piece of brown construction paper, the same width as the edges of the yellow crown, and a dozen or so long, triangular thorns.


I penciled words across the crowns for the girls to trace - "King of Kings" on the front of the yellow crown, "It is finished!" on the front of the brown, and "He is worthy" on the back.

Crayon ended up being better than markers for tracing, because they don't bleed through the construction paper like the markers.


The girls decorated the "gold" side of the crowns with glitter glue, and crayons (if I was doing this with a Sunday school class of little ones, I would choose stick on jewels over glitter glue).


Then, while the glitter glue dried...


...they glued the triangles to the brown side of the crowns...


...and bent them back and forth, for a thorny sort of look.


When they were done, I stapled the two sides together, into one crown, reminding us of Christ's suffering and glory.















It's great to be a homeschooler.

4 comments:

Ticia said...

I didn't see the thorns until you mentioned that, but what a great idea!

I obviously need to check out the page you mentioned!

Phyllis said...

I didn't get the thorns either until you explained it. Interesting idea.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Very neat. I like how this craft turned out. There was some crown building in the house too, but they were pretend crowns for a pretend birthday party for Anna's favorite object - her blankie.

Carolyn said...

Great post! Thanks! Using it at our church tomorrow (Easter)