Sunday, May 6, 2012

Children in the Garden - Investigating Sprouting Seeds


While we were investigating and planting seeds this last week...


...we also placed one of each of those that we had looked at through our pocket microscopes, onto a plate lined with a wet paper towel, and covered with plastic wrap.


Then, we placed the plate into a dark cupboard (just like we did with our peanuts earlier in the year), checking them each day to see if they had sprouted.  In case you're wondering too, the third peanut plant is still alive and flourishing, but has yet to blossom.

Yesterday we noticed one of our seeds had sprouted.  It just figures the dandelion would be the first seed to sprout, doesn't it?


Dandelion Seed

Dandelion Seed Sprouting


The children were interested in the way the seed split open for the plant to burst out.  They thought it looked like a dragon throwing up.

Naturally, we had to make another quick trip to the library for a few more gardening themed books.

We, meaning my youngest two and I. My mother informs me there has been some confusion among my older siblings, wondering why I have been doing such elementary projects with all the children. Generally, if I say the younger children, I'm referring to my 6 and 7 year olds, and not my 13 or 14 year olds.  T, would like me to be clear, that he has not been chasing ladybugs, planting fairy gardens, or reading any of the books below - not that he couldn't learn a thing or two from the illustrations in Jack's Garden, they are very detailed and informative, and even I spent quite a bit of time looking them over.




It's great to be a homeschooler.

Linked with Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Science Sunday

4 comments:

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I can imagine that T is trying to stay clear of "girly" projects nowadays :) Love the picture of a dandelion seed under the microscope!

Ticia said...

Poor T. I need to remember to get some of those come Christmas time :)

Phyllis said...

I know what you mean about the age separation and the difficulty of expressing that. It was not long ago when "the boys" meant all four of them, but now it usually just means the younger two. The older two are in high school now and seldom do the hands-on type stuff that are easier to blog. But sometimes it still means the four boys. English is such an imprecise language.

Ed said...

This is such a great way to teach kids. Sprouting Seeds can be such an exciting thing to watch.